Thursday, July 24, 2014

THINGS THAT MAKE ME HAPPY


On the ceiling in my room are 11 plastic glow-in-the-dark stars in different sizes. They are in the shape of the big dipper. When my daughter Nan was around six, (2001)I was going through another though time as far as health goes. I had been diagnosed with a tumor in one of my bones in my right forearm. The doctor diagnosed it as probably being cancer. I was to under go multiple test including a full body bone scan (this would let us know if there were other tumors), a CAT scan, and an MRI. These would all take about a month. Then I would have the surgery in which they would drill into my bone and remove the tumor. Before the surgery, I was told they weren't sure exactly what was going to happen when they got in there. Worst case scenario was I would loose my arm from the elbow down. I spent quite a bit of time in bed while waiting for the surgery. I tried to work as much as I could (waitressing), but being on such high doses of Lortab made it hard to stay awake and hard to concentrate. On night while I was at work, Nan decided that if I was going to have to spend so much time in bed, she was going to give me something to look at. I spent a lot of time looking at that ceiling in the months that followed my surgery. They are still there 13 years later. They are just one of the things that make me happy. I have found it doesn't take much; bubbles in soda, my family, silly things my dogs do, being able to move in the morning. These all make me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment