Wednesday, November 14, 2012

CHILI- GLUTEN-FREE

Today,  I decided to make another pot of chili to see if I could make it starch-free as well as gluten-free. It turned out delicious!! Keep in mind that when you go starch-free you can not use fillers like beans. So this is a mostly meat chili.

7 lbs ground beef ( I like to brown this ahead of time and store in the freezer)
6 or 7 tbs chili powder
1/4 cup dried minced onion
2 tbs minced garlic
2 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 tbs cumin
1 tbs oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
 sugar to taste



In stock pot, brown ground beef with chili powder. I think one of the secrets to great chili is not to have huge pieces of ground beef. After browning the ground beef, I run it through the food processor until it is crumbly. Add onions and garlic.

 Cook until onions rehydrate. Add tomatoes, cumin, oregano and garlic powder. 

Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.  The last step is to add a little sugar to taste. Top with shredded cheese.


 I like to make this huge pot and store in mason jars in the fridge or freezer to use later.

No comments:

Post a Comment