Friday, September 16, 2011

SQUARE FOOT GARDENING

This year, I though I'd try a little "Square Foot Gardening". My back isn't what it used to be(herniated discs), so bending over for long periods of time can be an issue. My hubby and one of my daughters made these two garden beds for me out of cinderblocks and rebar. I have to admit, they turned out pretty good (even better if you can get your cinderblocks for free). Now I'm able to sit on the side and do my weeding. Be careful though!! The hornets can sometimes build nests in the holes of the cinderblocks. I hadn't realized this until almost too late. It's a good thing one didn't sting me in the "rumproast". How would I explain that one to the neighbors?



I have planted onions, cucumbers, and tomatoes. I also planted lettuce and peas but we've already harvested those. I leave the "spent" plants in the ground so I don't have to weed so much. I told you I was a lazy gardener.




No comments:

Post a Comment